Monday, February 12, 2007

Music Review: Norah Jones, Never Too Late

I am a big Norah Jones fan and have purchased her new album. I have listened to the entire thing about 15 times over the last two weeks. I was hoping it would grow on me and it just a little, just not enough for love. I never thought I would say this, but I give this album a 2 on a scale of 3 to 5. Here is why:

-Too many tracks used repetitive, acoustical guitar rifts in the background. It is very annoying to here the same, dull repetitive rhythm sections only to be dominated by Norah's voice. Examples of this are: Wish I Could, The Sun Doesn't Like You, and Not My Friend.

-There are two songs that stick out like a sore thumb and, in my opinion, don't belong on the album: Sinkin' Soon (both versions on the album) and the political My Dear Country. While I do not hate Sinkin' Soon, it is just out of place with the other songs. It would be more at home in a New Orleans jazz club or with the Flappers of the 1920's. If the whole album was like that, it would be fine. As to My Dear Country, I prefer my entertainers to keep to music and stay out of politics. One can only guess the target of these lyrics:

But fear's the only thing I saw,
And three days later 'twas clear to all,
That nothing is as scary as election day.

But the day after is darker,
And darker and darker it goes,
Who knows, maybe the plans will change,
Who knows, maybe he's not deranged.

It's OK to have political opinions, just don't expect me to agree with them nor wish that you would sing about them.

-There is not a single song on the album that could qualify for her best ten songs. That is pretty bad since she has only put out two previous albums and a couple of new live tracks.

Now, to the songs I did like: Until the End, Thinking About You, Broken, Little Room, Rosie's Lullaby and Not Too Late. Little Room makes me wonder just what "there's room enough to do the things we like to do" means. The others are good Norah, just not her best. Too bad it is the fourth song before we get to a song I like.

While I am on the subject of her top ten songs, here is my list:

Come Away with Me
Turn Me On
Prettiest Thing
What Am I to You?
Don't Know Why
Moon Song (from Live in 2004)
Sunrise
Lonestar
Humble Me
She (from Live in 2004)

Those are my top 10 favorites and there are probably five others that come in above any on Never Too Late. Sorry, that is the truth.

Overall, if you love Norah, buy the album, just don't think you will listen to it more than you listen to either Come Away With Me or Feels Like Home. It will grow on you and there will be five songs you will listen to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home