Sunday, September 03, 2006

We're Rich so We Play

In an article on playing, gaming reveals itself as the playground of our rich society:
Complaints or not, gaming is a part of life for an increasing number of families, a junior version of their parents' digital entertainment lifestyle, which ranges from their BlackBerrys to that giant plasma TV in the den.

"People are better off, so you spend money on discretionary things," said Daniel S. Hamermesh, an economics professor at the University of Texas at Austin. "You've gotten the necessities already."

Not having kids myself, I can hardly comment. My nephews are as close as I can get to the topic and yes, those $40 game boy games are quite expensive. My 12-year-old nephew does not play games all the time as he as acquired a reading habit, which is a good thing. I just hope his younger brother does the same, and soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home