Saturday, September 02, 2006

Be a Rock Star

Over my summer vacation, I picked up Tom Peters' new book Re-Imagine! in which he extols the virtues of becoming a Rock Star. He does not mean literally a musical icon, but a superstar within your field of endeavor. This idea stuck in my head ever since. At first I thought it was ridiculous - putting Rock Star on your business card and all. I thought, it would be much better, more professional and more effective to put something like "Guru", "Maestro" or "Czar" on my new cards. Then I started really thinking about it. Thinking about when I drove to work. Thinking about it while I listened to U2, Bush, and Lynyrd Skynyrd at work. Thinking about it during lunch and while plodding through rote tasks that required minimum attention. Thinking about it while driving home from work. Thinking about it while walking the dog. Always thinking, Thinking, THINKING, THINKING. I started thinking that Guru is overused. Czar sounds autocratic and dictatorial. Maestro sounds conceited and aloof (think European condescension). I have never seen "Rock Star" on anyone's business card. Maybe I will be the first (that is if I have the courage to put it on there without even asking). How to explain my new-found Rock Star obsession? Here is what it means to me:

Individually first, then together.

Rock
: Solid, Strong, Larger than Life, Unconquerable, Persistent, Enduring, Able to be Molded into Something Great

Star: Bright, En Fuego (on Fire), Illuminating, Hot while Seriously Cool, Galactic, Universal.

Rock Star together: Exudes Confidence, Excitement, Talent, Accomplishment, Fame, Bold, Brash, Aggressive, Revolutionaries with Attitude, Seriously Cool Dudes doing Seriously Cool Stuff, audacious NO! Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Via Steven Covey and The 8th Habit, I found this quote (author Marianne Williamson and altered slightly by me):
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our [star]light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child [of the ages]. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of [humanity] that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
So is my quest to "Be a Supply Chain Rock Star" misguided? Stupid? Maybe, but that is the fire that has been ignited in my belly courtesy of Tom Peters . Thanks Tom (I think)!

How about this for a new mission statement:

"The Relentless Pursuit of WOW!"
WOW! = Wild, Outrageous, Wonderful
"Be Bold and Passionate in the Relentless Pursuit of WOW!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home