Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My Summer Vacation


I just got home from visiting my father in Wyoming spending the week there along with my sister and two nephews.

While I was there, we went hiking west of Laramie and went shooting at the gun range (nothing big, just a .22 rifle and semi-auto pistol). I also read two and one-half books. Normally, I read non-fiction, but this trip, I read two science fiction books.:

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card - I read Ender's Game a long time ago and loved it. I never did follow the series until my 12 year old nephew started talking about how awesome the following books were. While in Laramie, I picked up the book and finished it before the vacation ended. Awesome! I am going to buy and read the rest of the series.

Musashi Flex by Steve Perry - many years ago, I read most of his books and loved them. I saw this book and thought it was one I read before as part of the 97th Step series. However, it was a new book that is actually a prequel. Good book.

I am currently reading Re-Imagine by Tom Peters (of In Search of Excellence fame). It is a business re-invention book. Pretty "pie in the sky" so far, but worth it.

Other observations:
-Northern Colorado is growing at a pace I have not seen since I left 15 years ago. There are more new businesses and housing developments in areas that were farms when I was a kid. The growth around North Denver, Longmont, Berthoud, Loveland and Ft Collins is amazing.

-Laramie, Wyoming is a town that does not change fast. I once remarked about 5 years ago that the town has not changed in 30 years. It too is seeing a surge in new home growth that strikes me as odd. While out walking, we noticed 3,000 square foot houses (basement included) selling for $400,000-plus. That is just amazing to me for a town that has no large employers. I heard someone say once that the cost of a house is directly related to the number and quality of jobs within 30 miles of it. I wonder what jobs support a housing market like Laramie is seeing. It cannot be all the University.

-In Berthoud, there is a senior complex that has individual homes, apartments and assisted living spaces all surrounding a fantastic senior center. It is a new wave of places offering all levels of housing for aging baby-boomers. My aunt and uncle are going to move into one of the houses with plans to move to an apartment as they grow older. It is pricey, but they have the money to afford it. I see this as an innovative way to serve an aging population.

Other than that, it was a good week of vacation followed by a blizzard of work awaiting me Monday morning. I hope my two loyal fans did not miss me too much.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Ender books too, although knowing about Orson Scott Card's beliefs, I much prefer checking them out from the library than spending the money to buy them.

- JS

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Ender books too, although knowing about Orson Scott Card's beliefs, I much prefer checking them out from the library than spending the money to buy them.

- JS

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:16:00 PM, Blogger Jim VAT said...

I am not sure what you mean. I think he is pretty much an atheist as he slams the Catholic Church pretty hard in "Speaker for the Dead". The book also explores the concept of no life after death. I also think the "Speaker for the Dead" concept is quite interesting and something I would not mind having done for me when I die.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home