Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sustainability is for thee, not for Me

Coyote gets it. Sustainability and lifestyle reduction is for you, not for ME:
"I have never fully understood the word 'sustainability,' but in this context, doesn't it mean 'poorer'? It strikes me that McKibben is trying to sell poverty, or at least advocating that everyone voluntarily become poorer. He is successful with middle-class soccer moms at the library only to the extent that he hides this fact and calls poverty something else -- in this case 'smaller, more sustainable local economies.'

By the way, does jetting from city to city across the country to sell his book make him a sustainability expert? If he believes what he says, why doesn't he just sell his book within a 50-mile radius of his home?

Sustainability is always for thee and not for me."
Humph. Do as I say, not as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home