Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Baby Boomers Want Gen-Y to Grow Up

File this under "how ironic":
"SAN FRANCISCO — From his second-floor apartment at the counterculture crossing of Haight and Ashbury streets, Arthur Evans watches a new generation of wayward youth invade his free-spirited neighborhood.

The former flower child was among the legions of idealistic wanderers who migrated here during the Vietnam War to 'tune in, turn on and drop out.'"
"I used to be a hippie. I wore beads and grew my hair long," he said. "But my generation had something these kids do not: a standard of civilized behavior."

Panhandler Jonah Lawrence, 25, insists it is residents who need civilizing. "They say, 'Get a job!' " he said. "And I say, 'You got clothes for me? Or a place I can take a shower so I can look for work?' It's so bogus to tell me to get a job if I have nothing."
This reminds me of a certain aging super-lib baby boomer I know who woke up to the fact she needs to save for retirement and is tired of paying taxes. Therefore, she opened an IRA. Good thinking, but indicative of the boomer generation wants all this government, but don't want to pay for it; they want you to pay for it. Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home