Sunday, July 23, 2006

The purpose of this blog is to flush out the thoughts and views that I believe to be vital for accurate thinking about the world. As mentioned in my profile, I am a 30-something male with education and experience in Chemical Engineering and the chemical industry. Although I have not professional training in economics, the subject has grown into a passion for me. Economics and markets became a passion when I lost a large amount of money in the bear market of March 2001 through March 2003. I started to examine the myths and downright lies that I had been fed regarding the stock market and investing. That question for knowledge led to examining classic economics in the attempt to find out how things really work. I must credit a local Houston radio station that at that time was called Business Radio 650 and is now Business Radio 1320 for giving me a jumpstarted into my education. I then started to read and read and read and then read some more. In the past three years, I have probably read a dozen or so books on economics and have a stack of six more in the queue.

Another think that drastically affected my life was my late discovery of Excellence Literature. What I mean by Excellence Literature is the genre generally called "Self Help". It is my belief that "Self Help" does not accurately describe the narrow cut of the writings that I describe as Excellence education - that is, how to improve yourself and become a more effective person in all aspects of your life. It is not that I am not successful, because by most measures I was before picking up the 7 Habits of Highly Successful People by Dr. Stephen Covey, but I realized that I was not being the best person I could be. I realized I had ineffective habits that were limiting my growth and progress. So, in addition to reading economics literature, I began to read books on Excellence - some good, some bad, some downright cultish. In this blog, I will be reviewing some of this literature for you as I believe it is important to live a fulfilling life.

So, what should I post for my 2nd post? We'll see!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home