Sunday, July 30, 2006

Easy Ethics - Just Buy From Us!

Meta Trend: Easy Ethics

See, it is easy being environmentally ethical:

In the age of religious wars, environmental disasters and globalization, consumers are turning to products that offer ethical and environmental benefits, we call this "Easy Ethics"”. These benefits can be ecological, social visionary and are comprehensively communicated to the consumers.

For example, you probably won't leave your car in the garage and take your bike to commute to work. Yet, to support the environment you might drive a hybrid car to contribute to the environment. Consumers won'’t have to change their behavior overnight, but with convenient small steps. We have termed this trend "Easy Ethics"”.

This is the kind of stuff that turns me off. Ethics aren't easy. We have tough choices to make and those that use Global Warming to market their products better be careful. One scandal with tree planting or offsets not going where they should and the entire effort gets a black eye. I am not saying don't develop and market environmentally sensitives products, just don't shove it down my throat as a moral issue. That is all.

2 Comments:

At Monday, July 31, 2006 6:50:00 AM, Blogger DT Strain said...

I don't care much for throat-shoving either, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why it isn't an ethical issue.

 
At Monday, July 31, 2006 11:28:00 AM, Blogger Jim VAT said...

Let me be clear, I think global warming *might* be an ethical issue. But first, I think it is a scientific one. It is first and foremost about data, facts, evidence, reason and logic. I am automatically suspicious when fear, guilt or exaggeration are used used to pursuade me regarding a scientific conclusion. The implications of this are:
1) If you question what should be a scientific conclusion, you are a bad, immoral, unethical person.
2) Those that turn a scientific conclusion into a moral issue are then making an appeal to emotion over reason.

I also believe that turning GW into a moral issue rather than a scientific issue lays all sorts of traps for those who are GW activists. More on this later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home